Australia Said YES | #LoveWins | My Brief Thoughts

Not my image, but an example of the support shown
by many individuals and businesses


Australia became the 26th country in the world to legalise marriage equality, 13 years after the government at that time made amendments to the Marriage Act (without a non-binding postal survey) which excluded the recognition of same-sex marriages as a marriage under Australian law. On 8 December 2017, the changes have been signed into law by the Governor-General - allowing same-sex couples to marry from 9 January 2018.

Today is a victory for the LGBTQI+ community, as well as anyone who has championed those voices – anyone who recognises that 'Love Is Love' – and comes in different forms. It is obviously not the end of the road for LGBTQI rights, but I guess there’s a need to just celebrate. The last few months have been harrowing, and have driven people’s emotions to new extremes – culminating in a massive celebration when finding out that the efforts of many paid off – that Australia is one step closer to achieving equality all-round. What truly made me happy during this torturous process, however, was reading stories about pride flags being put in store-fronts and people’s homes.

There was a heart-warming article where the author revealed her surprise and happiness at seeing her community step up and show their support, instead of letting the survey just pass them by. While the survey incited violence, and an apparent ‘validation’ of ignorant opinions, stories of unwavering support by individuals - who really had ‘no skin in the game’, who showed enough compassion to understand the LGBTQI+ community’s need to be supported - stand out. I aspire to be that brave – but for now, I hope this online post is enough. For the time being, I say thank you to those pieces which gave me hope – which reminded me that - while I will never understand some people – there are good people out there, who will do things to show that they care. Let’s follow that example. Let us remember: ‘While I cannot do everything, I can do something.’